The Manitowoc Lincoln Athletic Department inducted three new members to its Wall of Fame during halftime of the Jan. 25 boys' basketball game against Pulaski High School.
Thanks to our new members for all they have done for our Ships programs!
Current Lincoln High School boys' tennis coach, Feller has been coaching the boys' tennis team for 44 years (since 1975). His teams have earned 14 conference titles, 11 WIAA Sectional championships, a WIAA state runner-up in 1985 and three, third-place finishes at the WIAA State Tournament in 1994, 1996 and 2000. He was named WIAA Coach of the Year three times and National Coach of the Year in 2006.
Feller is a graduate of Antigo High School and earned his bachelor’s degree from UW-Superior, where he competed on the men’s tennis team. Feller lives in Manitowoc and still assists the school district, not only as the boys' tennis coach, but also as a substitute teacher and consultant.
A 1993 Lincoln High School graduate, Wick earned eight varsity letters in football, baseball and basketball. He received most of his accolades in football and baseball. He was named first team all-state as a linebacker and first team all-state as a catcher. He still holds the school record for home runs, batting average, runs batted in, hits and walks. He was more than an outstanding athlete and also excelled in the classroom.
Wick was on the honor roll for three years and was selected as a Badger Boy for his work at the school in the classroom and his volunteer work. He now lives in Iowa with his wife, Shelley, and their four children, Kylie, Brady, Sophia and Kellen.
A 1992 Lincoln High School graduate, Hegg was an eight-time letter-winner in football, basketball and track. He was a National Honor Society member as the class valedictorian with a 4.0 GPA. He was president of student council and was active in the Show Choir and band. Hegg was second-team all-state and captain of the Ships' football team, captain and MVP of the boys' basketball team, and was also captain and WIAA State Qualifier in boys' track.
“Captain Troy” was a walk-on on the football team at UW-Madison and eventually earned a full scholarship and was a member of the 1995 winning Rose Bowl team.
In addition to honoring our new Hall of Fame members, we also welcomed home our Boys Basketball alumni to celebrate TEAM & FRIENDSHIPS and have some fun with an alumni tournament Saturday. It was great to see everyone!!
Compassion is one of the Manitowoc Public School District’s six core values, and our students and staff are living those values to enhance our community. MPSD employees launched a new charitable initiative this school year to give back to our students and families — the MPSD Employee Scholarship Program.
Our district-wide staff donated $8,500 to the MPSD Education Foundation to award scholarships to graduating seniors and support MPSD students whose financial circumstances may not allow them to participate in co-curricular or enrichment learning opportunities.
Our students and school families also are giving back to the community. Here are just a few examples of their charitable efforts to help those less fortunate in our area:Read more
One of the unique traditions and opportunities the Manitowoc Public School District (MPSD) offers students is the chance to learn about the environment in our 293-acre Rahr Memorial School Forest.
MPSD and Rahr Memorial School Forest have a long history of providing quality outdoor education to children of all ages.
Did you know that MPSD owns nearly 300 acres just north of the Point Beach State Forest? The Rahr Memorial School Forest is along the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan and has been an outdoor educational facility for more than 60 years. Last year, the school forest was visited by 9,554 students and adults.
Tradition began 68 years ago
The idea of creating a school forest took root in 1950 when a group of fifth- and sixth-grade students from Manitowoc’s Madison Elementary School planted trees in Silver Creek Park. In 1951, the students planted 3,500 pine seedlings at Point Beach State Forest, just south of where the school forest is today.
Eugene Krejcarek, then-principal of Madison School, realized students were so enthusiastic about tree planting and spending time learning outside that he envisioned an opportunity for students to expand their knowledge of nature, and the idea of the school forest was born.
In 1955, a 40-acre tract of land was purchased for $2,000. Shortly thereafter, a 65-acre tract of land with one-quarter mile of Lake Michigan frontage was purchased for $5,000. The funds for both purchases came from the generous gifts by the Rahr Foundation. Both properties were dedicated as the Rahr Memorial School Forest on May 1, 1955.
To this day, fifth-graders from the district visit the forest in the spring and plant trees on the school forest property, continuing the tradition started 68 years ago. Students last year planted 1,200 trees of 12 varieties — red pine, jack pine, white pine, red oak, black spruce, white spruce, aspen, river birch, black cherry, bur oak, red osier dogwood and silky dogwood.
Today, five structures provide classroom space, housing and storage for the MPSD school community to maximize the learning experience for MPSD students and staff.
Another tradition that all MPSD sixth-grade students cherish is the opportunity to spend three days and two nights at the forest. Students engage in teamwork, environmental science studies, human survival and fun.
Visit http://bit.ly/MPSD-Forest to learn more about the School Forest curriculum, service projects, and district and external groups who benefit from the forest.